The federal University Dutse (FUD), received its charter, along with eight other newly established Federal Universities, from the federal Government of Nigeria on February 9, 2011. The University’s campus is located in the capital of Jigawa state, Dutse, an ancient town in the north western Nigeria. The University’s host town, Dutse, offers the charm of a small agricultural town, with easy access to major metropolitan areas such as Kano, Bauchi, Maiduguri, and Kaduna. The university recognizes the importance of its location in Dutse and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of these great metropolitan areas in the surrounding states.
FUD seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many universities and higher educational institutions in Nigeria and across the world. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to covey the products of its efforts to the community, the nation, and the world.
As a new federal government-owned institution, FUD offers a broad range of degree programs in the humanities, the natural and social sciences, and agriculture, in years to come, courses in management sciences, environmental studies, law, education, engineering, and medicine. FUD’s pioneer student body will be about 265 undergraduates. As a new university, it is committed to the best tradition of excellence. It aspires to be a teaching and research-intensive, technologically driven institution. FUD hopes to attract distinguished nationally and internationally known researchers, authors, scientist and scholars, and other fellows and members of professional association and academies who might help disseminate its vision of higher education, knowledge and service.
The Federal University Dutse shall excel in educating men and women for competence and character. We will realize this vision by combining teaching and scholarship of high quality with exemplary leadership at all levels. By doing this we hope to earn nation and international recognition and further attract human and material resources needed for sustained and unrelenting excellence.
The Federal University Dutse exits to cultivate learning, develop knowledge, and foster free exchange of ideas. The University will focus on a strong tradition of distinguished scholarship, research, teaching, and service that is grounded in a commitment to increasing and disseminating scientific, humanistic, and social knowledge for the benefit of larger society. In this, FUD will strive to be a major research university with extensive graduate programs that are also dedicated to outstanding undergraduate and professional education. The University’s faculties and departments will be committed to the intellectual, cultural, and ethical development of students as citizens, scholars, and professionals. FUD graduates will be prepared to contribute a global society that requires leaders with creativity, integrity, and a dedication to service. Finally, FUD is committed to ideas that will make it to be recognized around the world as one of the best institutions of higher education.
The philosophy of FUD is premised on the promotion of an environment in which all people are inspired to learn, the encouragement of intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, pre inquiry, and respect for views and values of an increasingly diverse population. As an academic institution, FUD’s philosophy will also be based on active engagement with addressing the critical needs of the catchment area, nation, and global community, in close partnership with the host community, the Federal government, the catchment area state governments and, with time, with alumni, and in partnership with public, private, and non-profit institutions in Jigawa State and beyond.
The core values on which FUD will conduct its affairs are the following : –
- Respect for the fundamental values of human dignity and right to self-improvement.
- A commitment to a robust educational environment in which all people are welcome and feel welcome –one that supports critical thinking, free inquiry, and respect for diverse views and values. As a community, FUD embraces diversity as an integral and vital part of everyday life and a cornerstone value of the university.
- A commitment to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion. Therefore: all or any act of discrimination based open race, colour, ethnicity, gender, class, age, disability, religion, ancestry, national origin, and other acts of intolerance are unacceptable at FUD.
- The consideration that academic honesty and integrity to lie at the heart of the educational enterprise of knowledge-production, learning and service.
FUD’s relevance as an academic institution consist in its guiding principles that strongly represents its commitments to the nation and its higher education needs, namely: –
- FUD’s first commitment is to be the flagship of higher education for Nigeria and its catchment area of the university- ensuring that every Nigerian has access to a top-quality education and applying our strength to benefit the greater Jigawa community. The rising prominence of the Federal University, Dutse, will bring a new energy, opportunity, and recognition to the state of Jigawa, and the nation as a whole.
- Foster a robust educational environment in which all people are welcome and feel welcome- one that supports critical thinking, free inquiry, and respect for diverse views and values.
- Create innovative partnership for economic and community development, building knowledge and promoting ideas that serve the critical needs of the state, the nation, and the world.
- Engage students, faculty, staff, and alumni in the most compelling social, cultural, artistic, and scientific challenges of our age- taking our place among the world’s leading universities.
- FUD’s job is not done until our ideas, our expertise, and our students are given the opportunity to make a significant difference in the world. To succeed, we must ensure that the University’s innovation and accomplishments are publicly known across the academia and the world.
- Attracts and support students from the catchment area, the nation, and diverse backgrounds.
- Enhance curriculum flexibility, intellectual exploration, and discovery learning.
- A multidisciplinary immersion program that combine course work in key subject with direct engagement.
- Developing partnership that include joint conferences, performances, research centers, study programs.
- Continued overcoming of limitations in infrastructure and staffing shortages, obstacles to professional development, cross- cultural training, advising and IT.
Federal University Dutse aims at nurturing and producing well balanced men and women, worthy in character and learning, who recognized and appreciate the dignity of work, and are able to see themselves as agent of change for development and for the common good. The university will concern itself with teaching, learning and research for the attainment of excellence, particularly in its chosen areas of teaching and research, to the end that it shall inculcate in its staff and students those higher values which are fundamental to ethnical, socio-economic, scientific, and technological development of the society. Five objectives that defined the aspirations and key initiatives that will propel FUD on the part of prominence are: –
- Contribute to the National effort in providing high quality university education devoid of the usual interruptions.
- Build an academic community in which the youths can develop their full potential under a tradition of excellence in all spheres of life.
- Advance the frontiers of knowledge through research in the various fields of learning in which the University has expertise Arts and the Sciences.
- Grow and develop into a significant symbol of local and national aspirations, especially for the host community, and to give and support impeachable public service, and foster cooperation with private and public institutions.
- Prepare and motivate students to fit into the world of knowledge, learning, work, and service.
The University’s colours consist of Green and Gold; Green to signify the University’s new and hopeful beginnings, including its agrarian setting, and Gold, the figurative expression of the university’s climatic location in an arid zone, the Sahel, which is defined by colour of sands and shifting dunes, an apt metaphor for the university’s vision of an unending quest for academic excellence and selfless service, which are as valuable as Gold. Gold is also the colour of the distinctive soil of Jigawa State, after which the state was named as its creation in 1991. These colours also signify the endurance, courage, hope, and resilience of Sahel and Sudan Savannah life forms.
The motto of FUD is: “knowledge, Excellence, and service”. This is FUD’s bold declaration that it will be a University built upon local and universal knowledge; knowledge that would be based on the best tradition of excellence which has guided the best intellectual heritage of humankind; and knowledge and excellence premised on public service, the noble aspiration for community, national, and universal betterment, without which neither knowledge nor excellence as such would grow and be relevant to human development. It is on these values that the university would produce a new breed of graduate that would be dedicated to knowledgeable pursuit, aspire to traditions of excellence in all respects, and accepts selfless, disciplined, and dedicated public service as the highest good.
The logo of FUD consists of an igneous rock-cropping (the dominant and most abundant rock-formation in Dutse, the capital of Jigawa State, and which defines geologic identity within the Sudan Savannah), a leaping gazelle, an animal native to the land, and which signifies agility and resilience, and a date-palm tree (the dominant and most abundant tree in Jigawa State, and which defines its vegetation and ecology), standing astride an open book, which sits atop the rock point, itself traversed by the pen (both items signifying the greatest repositories of human knowledge, both religious and secular, the open book of thought and life, and the pen a powerful symbol of human intellectual technology). Both these symbol are set against the background of a circular sphere fringed with shades of green and beige borders (which denote the four boarders of earthly life, namely earth, fire, water, and air), and all draped, and framed by the primary colours of Green and Light Brown. The Logo is signed off with the motto of the University, “Knowledge, Excellence, and Service”.