Dean’s Personal Information:
Name: Uba Ahmad Ali
Title(s)/ Position(s): Professor/ Dean Faculty of Science
Prof. Uba Ahmad Ali was born to the family of Alhaji Ahmad Gwadabe in Dukurawa quarters, Dala Local Government area of Kano State on 17th March, 1963. He attended Malam Yakubu Islamiyya School, Dukurawa quarters, where he graduated as having learnt the complete Qur’an. He attended Kukar Bulukiya Primary School from 1970 to 1977, Government Secondary School Rano from 1977 to 1978, Government Secondary School Gwammaja I from 1978 to 1982. He later secured admission into Bayero University Kano in 1982, where he obtained B. Sc. Degree in Mathematics in 1987. He also obtained M. Sc. Degree in Applied Mathematics from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Bauchi (ATBU) in 1993, Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA) and Ph. D. Degree in Mathematics both from Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto in 1996 and 2007 respectively.
He served at Usmanu Danfodiyo University during his one year mandatory youth service after graduation from 1987 to 1988 and in April, 1989 he was employed as a graduate assistant by the same University. He rose to the rank of Senior Lecturer in 2008 and later promoted to the rank of Reader and Professor (Operational Research) in 2011 and 2014 respectively.
Prof. Uba Ahmad Ali has published more than fouty (40) articles in reputable national and International journals. He has also made more than twenty (20) academic presentations in form of seminars, conferences, and workshops. He is a reviewer of many national journals and published books. He has produced six Ph. D. students and more than fourty Masters degree students in Mathematics, Economics, Accounting, and Business Administration. He had also served Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto in various administration capacities. Some of these responsibilities include the following: Coordinator of Basic Mathematics, Introduction, and Application to Computer Science; Mathematics Departmental Registration and Examination Officer; Head of Mathematics Unit; Member University Prize and Scholarship Committee; Member Senate Subcommittee on Examination; Member Faculty of Science Misconduct Committee; Member Departmental Postgraduate Board; Faculty of Science Examination Officer; Member University Registration Committee; Member University Senior Staff Disciplinary Committee; and so on.
The Pioneer Vice-Chancellor, Professor J. D. Amin invited him to join Federal University Dutse early 2014 because of his vast experiences in academics and administration. Then Federal University offered him appointment in March, 2014 and he assumed duty on 2nd October, 2015. He was appointed Dean, Faculty of Science, Federal University Dutse in April 2015. He was also appointed as one of the senate representative to the Federal University Dutse Governing Council from 2015 to date. He was later appointed the Director Academic Planning and Quality Assurance Unit, Federal University Dutse Jigawa State effective from 20th March 2017 to date. He has served and still serving in various committees of the University.
Prof. Uba Ahmad Ali was appointed as Ph. D. and M.Sc. external examiner of Mathematics by some Nigerian Universities. So far he had examined one Ph. D. candidate and four Masters Candidates. He was also appointed as the external assessor for promotion of some candidates to the rank of professors and readers in Mathematics.
Professor Uba is a member of Professional bodies and Associations. These include the following: Mathematical Association of Nigeria (MAN), Science Association of Nigeria (SAN), Vice Chairman Staff Multipurpose Cooperative Society (SMCS) and so on. He is also a Fellow of Strategic Institute for Natural and Human Development (FRHD). He is a member, Chairman, or Patron of some Community based associations, such as Dala Local Government Youth Development Association, Kano State Students Association, Al-Jama’atul Khairiyya Li Igasatil Muslimin Gwiwa Low Cost Sokoto, Education Development Association Gwiwa Low Cost Sokoto, Government Secondary School Gwammaja Old Boys Association, etc.
Prof. Uba Ahmad Ali is happily married with four (4) wives and twenty two children.
University Committee Membership and Other Academic Responsibilities
- Dean, Faculty of Science, Federal University Dutse, Jigawa State, (4th May 2015 to Date)
- Acting Head, Mathematics Unit, Department of Mathematics, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (12th December 2011 to 30th September, 2014)
- External Examiner, Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin kebbi, Kebbi state (July, 2011 – Date).
- Acting H. O. D. Department of Mathematics, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1st December 2009 to 2nd February 2010)
- Faculty of Science Representative to School of Medical Laboratory Science Board, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (2008 – Date)
- Mathematics Unit Students Academic Advisor, Department of Mathematics, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (18th January 2007 to Date)
- External Examiner, Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, (2006 – 2011)
- External Examiner, College of Preliminary Studies, Yelwa – Yauri, Kebbi State (2002 – Date)
- Special Invitee, Senate Standing Committee on Examination, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1999 – Date)
- Member, Matriculation Admission committee, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1999 – 2002)
- External Examiner, Federal College of Education (Technical) Gusau, (2002 – 2005)
- External Examiner, College of Agriculture, Zuru, Kebbi, (2000 – 2003)
- Faculty of Science Examination Officer, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1995 – 1999)
- Chairman, Faculty of Science Prizes and Scholarship Committee, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1995 – 1999)
- Faculty of Science Representative to Law Faculty, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1995 – 1999)
- Representative to Senate, Faculty of Science, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1995 – 1999)
- Mathematics Department Representative to Faculty of Science Curriculum Committee, (1995 – 1997)
- Basic Mathematics Coordinator, (1989 – 1990)
- Departmental Examination Officer, (1989 – 1995)
- Departmental Admission Officer, (1989 – 1990)
- Secretary to Departmental Meetings, (1989 – 1994)
- Member, Senior Staff Disciplinary Committee, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto , (May 2008 – Date)
- Vice Chairman, Staff Multipurpose Cooperative Society, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, Sokoto (October, 2013 to October, 2014)
- Collation Officer, April, 2011 General Election (2011)
- Facilitator, National Population commission Census (2006)
- Chairman, Board of Trustee, Madrasatul Auladil Muslimina wa Mu’ujizatul Qur’an Gwiwa Low Cost, Sokoto (2006 – Date)
- Patron, National Association of Mathematical Science Students of Nigeria, UDUS Branch, (2005 – 2007)
- Patron, National Association of Kano State Students of Nigeria, UDUS Branch, (2004 – Date)
- Secretary, Aljama’atul Khairiyya Li Igasatil Muslimeen, Gwiwa Low Cost, Sokoto (2001 – Date)
- Resource Person on Staff Recruitment, Federal College of Education (Technical) Gusau, 2002
- Chairman, Kwamitin Kyautata Ilmi da Tarbiyar Yara, Gwiwa Low Cost, Sokoto (2005 – Date)
- Special Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps, RS 10.1 command, Sokoto, (2001 – Date)
- Energy Survey at Five Local Government Areas of Kano State, for Sokoto Energy Research Center, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto, (1991)
- Member, Nigerian Mathematical Society, (1988 – to Date)
- Member, Mathematical Association of Nigeria, (1987- Date)
- Member, Science Association of Nigeria, (1996 – Date)