NAME: AHMAD MOHAMMED GUMEL (PhD)
Title(s): Associate Professor of Biotechnology / HOD, MICROBIOLOGY & BIOTECHNOLOGY
Orchid ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-2998-4088
Researcher ID: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/E-9906-2011
Dr. Ahmad Mohammed Gumel is an Associate Professor of Industrial Biotechnology and currently the Head of Department, Microbiology and Biotechnology, Federal University Dutse. He received postgraduate degrees (Master and Ph.D.) in Biotechnology from the University of Malaya in Malaysia. His area of specialization is Biocatalysis, specifically the synthesis of smart responsive biomedical materials for artificial actuators, surgical implants, therapeutics nano-carriers etc.
Dr. Gumel is a registered biotechnologist, with several membership to international professional associations. He is a board member of International Institute of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering, member European Federation of Biotechnology, member Asian Federation of Biotechnology, member Royal Society of Chemistry United Kingdom, member American Chemical Society, member American Institute of Chemical Engineers, member Society for Biological Engineering USA, member Asia-Pacific Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society.
Dr Gumel has great deal of research experience owing to several collaborative high impact research projects. He is diligent and dedicated teacher with vast teaching experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He loves teaching and enjoys conducting research activities.
He is well versed in operating synthetic and analytical equipment include inter alia microwave and ultrasonic synthesizers, bioreactors, microfluidic reactors, GC, GCMSMS, LCMS, HPLC, UHPLC, NMR, FTIR-ATR, DSC, TGA, OPM, XRD, SEM, TEM and confocal electron microscopy. His research success is evident from my academic publications in top tier international peer reviewed journals, books, conferences, as well as intellectual patents.
Among his notable publications are:
- Ahmad Mohammed Gumel (2017) Biosynthesis of Shapemory, pH responsive hydrogel and its biomedical potential. Journal of Advances in Biotechnology 3, 946-952.
- Y. Hindatu, M. S. M. Annuar, R. Subramaniam, A. M. Gumel (2017) Medium-chain-length poly-3-hydroxyalkanoates-carbon nanotubes composite anode enhances the performance of microbial fuel cell. Bioprocess Biosystem Engineering 40(6) 919-928.
- Y. Hindatu, M.S.M. Annuar, A.M. Gumel (2017) Mini-review: Anode modification for improved performance of microbial fuel cell. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 73, 236–248.
- AM Gumel, MSM Annuar (2016) Thermomyces lanuginosus lipase-catalyzed synthesis of natural flavor esters in a continuous flow microreactor.3 Biotech 6 (1), 1-12.
- KA Ishak, MSM Annuar, T Heidelberg, AM Gumel (2016) Ultrasound-Assisted Rapid Extraction of Bacterial Intracellular Medium-Chain-Length Poly (3-Hydroxyalkanoates)(mcl-PHAs) in Medium Mixture of Solvent/Marginal Non-solvent. Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 41 (1), 33-4.
- Ahmad Mohammed Gumel, MohdRafaisMohdRazaif-Mazinah, SitiNorSyairahAnis and MohamadSuffianMohamadAnnuar (2015) Poly (3-hydroxyalkanoates)-co-(6-hydroxyhexanoate) hydrogel promotes angiogenesis and collagen deposition during cutaneous wound healing in rats. Biomedical Materials 10 (2015) 045001 (doi:10.1088/1748-6041/10/4/045001).
- Ahmad Mohammed Gumel,MohamadSuffianMohamadAnnuar,Hindatu Yusuf (2015) Perspectives on the emerging applications of multifaceted biomedical polymeric nanomaterials. Journal ofNanomaterials. Volume 2015, Article ID 209032, (doi :10.1155/2015/209032) (Hindawi; ISI cited Publication).
- Gumel, A.M.,Annuar, M.S.M., Ishak, K.A., Ahmad, N. (2014) Carbon nanofibers-poly-3-hydroxyalkanoates nanocomposite: ultrasound-assisted dispersion and thermo-structural properties. Journal of Nanomaterials (http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/264206. Article ID264206).
- Gumel, A.M.,Annuar, M.S.M., Heidelberg, T. (2014) Growth kinetics, effect of carbon substrate in biosynthesis of mcl-PHA by Pseudomonas putida Bet001. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology (accepted) (SciELO; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Gumel, A.M. and Annuar, M.S.M. (2014) Poly‐3‐hydroxyalkanoates‐co‐polyethylene glycol methacrylate copolymers for pH responsive and shape memory hydrogel. Journal of Applied Polymer Science (DOI: 10.1002/app.41149) (ISI-Cited Publication).
- Gumel, A.M., Annuar, M.S.M., Heidelberg, T. (2013) Single-step lipase-catalyzed functionalization of medium-chain-length polyhydroxyalkanoates. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 88(7):1328–1335 (Wiley; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Gumel, A.M.,Annuar, M.S.M., Heidelberg, T. (2013) Enzymatic synthesis of 6-O-glucosyl-poly(3-hydroxyalkanoate) in organic solvents and their binary mixture. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 55: 127-136 (Elsevier; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Gumel, A.M., Annuar, M.S.M., Chisti, Y. (2013) Lipase catalyzed ultrasonic synthesis of poly-4-hydroxybutyrate-co-6-hydroxyhexanoate. UltrasonicsSonochemistry 20:937–947 (Elsevier; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Gumel, A.M.,Annuar, M.S.M., Heidelberg, T. (2013) Current application of controlled degradation processes in polymer modification and functionalization. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 129 (6):3079-3088 (Wiley; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- A. M. Gumel, M. S. M. Annuar, Y. Chisti (2013) Ultrasound-assisted enzymatic synthesis of poly-ε-caprolactone: kinetic behavior and reactor design. International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering 11:609-617(DeGruyter; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Gumel, A.M., Annuar, M.S.M., Chisti, Y. (2012). Recent advances in the production, recovery and applications of polyhydroxyalkanoates. Journal of Polymers and the Environment. 21 (2):580-605 DOI 10.1007/s10924-012-0527-1. (Springer;ISI& SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- A.M. Gumel, Annuar, M.S.M, Heidelberg, T. (2012). Biosynthesis and characterization of polyhydroxyalkanoates copolymers produced by Pseudomonas putida Bet001 isolated from palm oil mill effluent. PLoS ONE 7(9): e45214 (PLoS USA, ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Gumel, A.M., Annuar, M. S. M. & Heidelberg, T. (2012). Effects of carbon substrates on biodegradable polymer composition and stability produced by Delftiatsuruhatensis Bet002 isolated from palm oil mill effluent. Polymer Degradation & Stability 97:1227-1231 (Elsevier; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Gumel A.M, Annuar M.S.M. Chisti, Y., Heidelberg T. (2012). Ultrasound assisted lipase catalyzed synthesis of poly-6-hydroxyhexanoate in 1 ethyl-3-methyl-imidazolium tetraflouroborate[Emim][BF4]. UltrasonicsSonochemistry 19:659–667 (Elsevier; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Gumel, A.M., Annuar, M.S.M, Heidelberg, T, Chisti, Y. (2011). Thermo-kinetics of lipase-catalyzed synthesis of 6-O-glucosyldecanoate. Bioresource Technology. 102:8727 8732 (Elsevier; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- Gumel, A.M., Annuar, M.S.M., Heidelberg, T., Chisti, Y. (2011). Lipase mediated synthesis of sugar fatty acid esters. Process Biochemistry 46:2079-2090(Elsevier; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication)
- J. Han, M.S.M. Annuar, M.F.K. Ariffin, M.A. Gumel, S. Ibrahim, T. Heidelberg, B. Bakar, A.B.M.S Hossain, Y. Sharifuddin. (2011). Lipase-catalyzed synthesis of 6-O-D-glucosyldecanoate in tert-butanol: reaction optimization and effect of mixing power input. Biotechnology and Biotechnological Equipment 25:2642-2651 (Diagnosisnet.com; ISI & SCOPUS Cited Publication).
- Gumel, A.M.,Aris, M.H., Annuar, M.S.M. Modification of Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) In: Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) based Blends, Composites and Nanocomposites (RSC Green Chemistry Series). Ipsita Roy and P.M. Visakh (eds). 2014. Royal Society of Chemistry, UK p.141
- Gumel, A.M. and Annuar, M.S.M. Nanocomposites of Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) In: Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs) based Blends, Composites and Nanocomposites (Natural Polymer Series). I. Roy and P.M. Visakh (eds). 2014. Royal Society of Chemistry, UK pp.98-118